In Your Bible: Proverbs 4:4-6
Solomon tells believers to understand the importance of God’s Wisdom. Notably, wisdom is mentioned 352 times in the Bible (in Proverbs 97 times, Ecclesiastes 35 times, and none in Song of Solomon). Over one third were written by Solomon! We must get God’s wisdom and understanding from the Word and the Holy Spirit.
Solomon repeatedly mentions what his father, David, taught him:
- His sayings, the words of his mouth
- All the lessons he taught
- Many of the psalms were instructions, called Maschils * in Hebrew
Then he [David]taught me and said to me, “Let your heart hold fast my words; Keep my commandments and live; Acquire wisdom! Acquire understanding! Do not forget nor turn away from the words of my mouth. Do not forsake her, and she will guard you; Love her, and she will watch over you” (Proverbs 4:4-6 NASB).
Get Understanding Too
As Solomon was taught by King David, believers must also be taught to:
- Receive these teachings to gain wisdom
- Hold fast and do not let go of them
- Obey them to increase the knowledge God gives us
Absorb this instruction for advice and correction. Welcome it. A soul without true wisdom and the saving belief in Jesus Christ falls short. Let us heed the sayings of Him who has the words of eternal life. We must get God’s wisdom and understanding from the Word and the Holy Spirit.
Prayer: Father, you have given us the words of life and words of wisdom, help me hold fast to them and be an implement useful to you. Selah.
* Commentary by Matthew Henry, Proverbs 4: 4-9 at biblehub.com,