Eyewitness: p. 227
Eyewitness Stories: John 14:13
Message: John 14:11-15
In your Bible: John 14:11-15
This promise in John 14 may confuse us. But the Eyewitness and The Message make it poignantly clear, the believer can ask God for anything along the lines of who Jesus is and what he does. What gives us that privilege? The Apostle Paul explains it wonderfully – we are in Christ – Jesus. Power in Jesus’ name is a God thing.
Asking of God Through Jesus
- Frank Ball in the Eyewitness, says the “in My Name” phrase is best described as “under my direction and authority” (Eyewitness John 14:13,14).
- Eugene Peterson’s interpretation shows the magnitude of what Jesus says about asking of God. “From now on, whatever you request along the lines of who I AM and what I am doing, I’ll do it. That’s how the Father will be seen for who you are in the Son” (John 14:15a Message).
- These interpretations should bring a new understanding of God’s view of asking of him (as a believer, you already have the authority).
Meaning for the Believer
- Jesus sent out the 12 and 70 more of his followers – giving specific direction and authority for what they should do. To heal the sick, cleanse the lepers, cast out evil spirits, and raise the dead.
- At the great commission Jesus expanded this charge: Go and train everyone you meet, far and near, in this way of life, marking them by baptism in the name the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Instruct them to practice of all I commanded you. I’ll be with you as you do this.
Wait for God’s Instructions
This direction includes believers today! Be listening for times when God moves you, speaks to you, whispers to you by the Spirit. Then move on God’s direction to you – He’s already given you the authority as a believer. Yes! It’s the reason the believer can be assured of using Jesus name and authority correctly. Embrace this. We should be doers of the Word and not only hearers as James writes. Power in Jesus’ name is a God thing.
Prayer: Father, I want to keep in communication with you all the time. I need your direction in all I do. I know I have authority by being in Jesus. Thank you.
Questions Does this expand you understanding the authority of the believer? Now what do you think when you say what “In Jesus Name” really means?