When Jesus saw a crowd gathering, he went up on the hillside and his disciples came to him. He taught them saying……. (Eyewitness Matthew 5:1,2)
Eyewitness: p. 62
In your Bible: Matt 5:1-12
This important teaching was for those gathered around Jesus and for believers today. I describe it as WHAT GOD WANTS for believers – by following Kingdom living.
God Wants Believers to Receive His Blessing
I believe Jesus says this is God’s intention of how for man is to live:
- I WANT YOU TO RECOGNIZE YOUR NEED FOR GOD, THEN RELY ON HIM TOTALLY then you’ll receive the Kingdom of Heaven.
- I WANT YOU TO MOURN AND GRIEVE OVER WRONGDOING for God will bring you comfort.
- I WANT YOU TO BE HUMBLE for God will allow you to inherit the land.
- I WANT YOU TO BE RIGHTEOUS BEFORE GOD then He will give you true satisfaction.
- I WANT YOU TO BE MERCIFUL then you will receive mercy from God.
- I WANT YOU TO BE PURE IN HEART so you will actually see God.
- I WANT YOU TO BE PEACEMAKERS then God will call you His children.
- I WANT YOU TO PERSEVERE THROUGH PERSECUTION for God will give you the Kingdom of Heaven.
- I WANT YOU TO BE VICTORIOUS OVER HATRED, REJECTION, INSULT AND FALSE ACCUSATION for God’s reward for you in Heaven is great.
Seemingly an Impossible Task
In our world where injustice, lawlessness, and disharmony often rule, this teaching is hard to receive. Jesus explains how God wants believers to live – the result will be blessings. God says in effect I want your attitude to be this way, so I can bless you and make you whole. We know that only God can do these life changing/life embracing things by His Spirit. Implementing them is the work of the Spirit within us. We must allow this, take this on every day, and be patient for change to happen. Maybe only close friends will see the change in our “be attitude.” God wants this change.
The Father Endorses What Jesus Says
About half way through Matthew we hear God say: “This is my dearly beloved son, in whom I am well pleased. Listen to him” (Eyewitness Mathew 17:5c). So don’t you think we should listen?
Application: Jesus explains how man should live to receive all the blessings our Father has in store for us. It’s a daunting task. Jesus didn’t say it was impossible – just not easy. When we get these teachings from Jesus we truly need to Listen to do what he says and apply it in our lives.
Prayer: Father, thank you for these challenging words on how to live. We need the power of the Holy Spirit to lead us through, amen.
Question: Does this well known passage from Matthew seem impossible to actually do? Could we do any of this if the Holy Spirit did not participate in guiding our thoughts, our intentions, and our actions?