Jesus said, “People must love me enough to do what I say. Then my Father will love them and we will come live with them” (Eyewitness John 14:21).
Eyewitness: pp. 224,226
In Your Bible: John 3:16; John Chapters 13 and 14
This is the season for romantic love or friendly love. But today we will focus on God’s love.
Jesus brought captivating “Good News.” Because people had not heard that God loved them, the disciples and early followers, took almost three years to grasp the strength and impact of this message.
God So Loved
Most people hear John 3:16 before they become believers. This verse shows how much God loves mankind. Only God can give agape love. For God so loved the world that he gave his only son, so that everyone who believes in him will not die, but live forever (Eyewitness John 3:16).
* Vine’s Expository on New Testament Words, says this:
Agapao love as used of God, expresses a deep and constant love and interest of a perfect Being towards entirely unworthy objects, producing and fostering a reverential love towards the Giver.
Near the end of Jesus’ ministry, he taught and demonstrated many important things to the inner circle of disciples (John Chapter 13).
- Jesus washed the disciples feet – modeled serving.
- Had his last supper with them – celebrating commitment for his return.
- Told them he was going away to the Father – but would return.
- Gave a new commandment – love one another.
Philip seemed confused, so Jesus replied, “Don’t you know that I am the in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not due to my own initiative. The Father lives within me and does his work through me. Believe in me when I say I am in the Father…..” (Eyewitness John 14:10,11).
How to Show Love for the Father
There is a direct tie between listening to Jesus and obeying what he says. Jesus explained what the believer gains:
- If you love me, you’ll be happy for me that I go to the Father – He’s greater than I am.
- If you love me, you will do what I tell you to do.
- If you obey my instructions, you show your love for the Father.
How can we miss this? We should listen and do it all.
Application: Jesus pointed the way to please the Father. Jesus also gave followers the key – believe in him, rely on him, and trust him. Listen to him when he says, “If you love me,” there is more to follow.
Prayer: Father, thank you for Jesus. He is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. We know he pleases you, help me to listen and do what he says. I want to please you too.
Question: Do you struggle with Jesus’ teaching? Keep my commands. Love one another. Believe in me. Listen to me. Show you love for me. prove your love for the Father. If we do not abide in him the struggle will go on. How do we abide in him and live in him?
Image courtesy of idea go / FreeDigital/Photos.net
* An Expository of New Testament Words, Vol 3, W.E. Vine, Fleming H. Revell Company, Old Tappan, New Jersey USA, Love pp. 20-22.